Most people who want to lose weight and are trying to eat healthy complain that most healthy foods lack flavor and taste plain. Food is one of the most important aspects of a weight loss journey, however if we’re able to make healthy food taste good then most people won’t dread dieting in the first place.
Herbs and spices are the best way to keep your food healthy and clean while adding a depth of flavor to your meals without adding additional sugar, fat or sodium. Not only will herbs and spices make your diet become easier, they help boost your metabolism which in turn burns fat. Here are a few different herbs and spices that will help boost weight loss:
- Ginger. Ginger is a spice made from the rhizome of the flowering ginger plant. Ginger has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and can help control blood sugar levels. Ginger can also increase metabolism and fat burning, as well as decrease fat absorption and appetite. Ginger also has a very bold, distinct flavor that would be good in a variety of different dishes.
- Turmeric. Curcurmin, found in turmeric, is a natural anti-inflammatory compound that can help the body fight off invaders. Research also suggests that this can contribute to aiding in weight loss because it can hold off certain inflammatory markers that may result in obesity. In fact, a study conducted by Tufts University showed that turmeric can help the body burn fat. In the study, there were two groups of mice – the control group was fed no curcumin while the experimental group was fed curcumin. The group of mice that was fed curcumin lost more weight than the control group that did not have it. Turmeric is a warming spice, it increases the body heat which can boost your metabolism and provide other health benefits.
- Garlic. Garlic has been shown to boost energy levels which can boost your metabolism, further helping you lose weight efficiently. It also helps keep you fuller for longer, further preventing you from overeating. There are many different ways to include garlic into your diet. Considering buying bulk garlic powder so you can cook with it in almost every meal.
- Cayenne. Capsaicin, the compound that gives cayenne pepper its powerful kick, has been proven to reduce belly fat, suppress appetite, and boost the body’s ability to burn food as energy. You can find capsaicin in other ingredients such as hot sauce, however just a couple of shakes of some popular varieties can provide nearly 20 percent of your daily sodium limit. For a less aggressive, salt-free kick, try seasoning grilled fish, meats, and eggs with just a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Black Pepper. Being one of the most common household spices, black pepper contains a potent compound called piperine which supplies pepper with its flavor and potential weight-loss boost effects. Some studies have found that piperine has the ability to inhibit fat cell formation. Season black pepper on your salad, eggs, steak, and everything in between!
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon is full of antioxidants that have been proven to stabilize blood sugar levels and reduce appetite and hunger. Even adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to a starchy meal may help stabilize blood sugar and control insulin spikes. Try adding cinnamon into your morning oats, a smoothie, or even some yogurt. Cinnamon adds great flavor and sweetness to dishes without the additional sugars.
Add some healthy flavor to your next meal with these spices that will help burn belly fat and make you feel fuller for longer.