Home remodelling is quite an expensive affair. Many homeowners have trouble sticking to the budget when they undertake a home renovation project. Of all the remodelling projects, kitchen renovations end up being the most cost-intensive. According to experts, the advice is to follow the 5 percent to 15 percent rule. This rule says that your expenses should be no less than 5% of the value of your home and no more than 15% of the value. There are exceptions to the rule, however, this rule gives you some useful guidance on the budget.
First steps to a successful kitchen renovation
Before you begin your kitchen remodelling project, you must prepare and plan well. Here are some points to keep in mind:
- Search for a professional: Most kitchen renovation work needs a professional kitchen renovation Sydney expert and cannot be a DIY job. You must spend time in the search. Review multiple providers, check their portfolios and references. Finding a reliable and trustworthy contractor is essential for the project to run smoothly.
- Keep an emergency fund: You must always be prepared for surprises. Once the old cabinets and pipes get uprooted, problems can arise. It is safe to keep about 20% budget aside to cover up, in case of unexpected issues.
- Try some DIY: There are some smaller tasks that you can do on your own. This will help you save time and cost. Discuss with your contractor how you can do some of the simple things.
- Set a clear project timeline: Before the first hit of the hammer, your timelines must be clearly defined. Kitchen remodelling projects tend to run behind schedule, keep this in mind while charting out the project.
Plan your budget
While planning the budget, consider the entire project. Before you choose anything for the remodel, from wall colour to cabinet look, ask yourself, “What do I want from the renovation project?”
Make a note of what you want your new and remodelled kitchen to look like. Consider carefully what you want to keep and what you want to replace. Ask your contractor for advice on what can be repurposed. For instance, if you can paint the cabinets instead of replacing them, you will be able to save considerable cost. These discussions will help you estimate the expenses and optimize the cost you incur.
If you plan to replace or add new appliances, a thorough analysis is a must. Do your research well to find the products that fit your needs. Consider the appliances as investments as they add value to your home if you plan to sell your property someday.
Modern kitchens Sydney renovation costs usually follow the break-up as follow:
- Cabinet and hardware – 30% of overall project cost
- Design, planning, and installation: 22% of overall project cost
- Appliances: 14% of the cost
- Lighting, flooring, and plumbing: 15% of the cost
Other costs include doors, windows, countertops, walls, and ceilings. If you have a limited budget, you must decide what is important for you and what is good to have. You can also break the project into phases so that you can stagger your expenses.