Some people get trembling hands or feel nauseous when they think about going to a dentist. Because of this, a lot of dentists are now offering patients the chance to try Woodland Hills sedation dentistry, hoping to relieve their anxiety and make regular dental checkups and treatment tolerable.
How Does Sedation Dentistry Work?
Sedation dentistry uses sedative medications to make the patient feel calm and relaxed. This way, they can tolerate the necessary process to perform dental evaluations and treatments. Dentists can tailor a patient’s sedation level based on the extent of their anxiety and the kind of dental work they require. Although patients who have mild anxiety may just need nitrous oxide for a tolerable dental appointment, those who have serious dental phobia may need an intravenous administration of heavy sedation.
Kinds of Sedation Dentistry
The following are the kinds of sedation options that the dentist will use to help anxious patients feel relaxed:
- Nitrous oxide. This sedation is administered using nasal masks. The dentist can regulate the amount of sedation given. The effect of this sedation wears off when the mask is removed.
- Oral sedation. Patients take the pill orally to feel comfortable throughout the procedure.
- IV sedation. For this sedation option, an IV line is inserted into the patient’s vein to offer a steady flow of medication. The patient will be unconscious during their dental procedure.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
A lot of patients are considering sedation dentistry because of the following reasons:
- Less pain. People may fear the dentist because of the pain they may experience during the appointment. Although sedatives don’t have an effect on the body’s pain receptors, they help patients feel more relaxed. In turn, they will be able to tolerate discomfort.
- Less risk of complications. Any dental treatment must be done with the utmost precision and care. For the dentist to perform dental procedures accurately and carefully, a patient must stay still, sometimes for a long time. However, anxious patients may squirm and put themselves at risk of complications. This problem can be avoided with sedation.
- Anxiety relief. Some patients miss their dental appointments and avoid the dentist because of fear. Thankfully, they can overcome dental anxiety through sedation that relieves people’s anxiety.
- Completion of the procedure with ease. Some dental surgeries are complicated and invasive. Sometimes, they make patients feel stressed and uncomfortable. Sedation dental care relaxes a patient’s muscles, reducing the chances of gagging. Therefore, it allows the dentist to perform the treatment with fewer disruptions. The dentist does not worry about the reaction of the patient to the tools they use. This hastens the treatment process and makes sure the patient will complete the treatment in no time.