Are you trying to get pregnant? Have you tried all the necessary measures and are still not able to succeed?
If yes, then the possible reason that affects the possibility of pregnancy could be the imbalance of the hormone levels in your body that causes infertility. However, among the many hormones, progesterone (a pregnancy hormone) is one hormone that is responsible for a woman’s fertility, and the low rates hinder the possibility of getting pregnant.
Nonetheless, you need not lose hope just yet, as, on the bright side, there are multiple ways that can help you boost progesterone and improve levels in the body, resulting in a good chance of getting pregnant. And with the help of this article, Parenthood bliss is happy to help you with the ways to improve and increase the rate of progesterone, maintaining a healthy balance.
But first, let’s understand…
What is Progesterone?
Progesterone is a hormone of the female sex that is responsible for controlling fertility and menstruation, and of course pregnancy! This corpus luteum or the luteal phase is a temporary hormone-secreting gland in the ovaries to produce the hormone after the ovulation and also prepares the uterine lining for the implantation to take place when you’re trying to conceive.
As and when the fertilized egg gets implanted, the hormone activates, helping the blood vessels to supply nutrients to the fetus as it slowly grows into your baby. On the other hand, if you do not get pregnant, the production of progesterone drops, resulting in your monthly menstrual cycle.
This level of progesterone shifts from high to low with the increase of estrogen, the primary female sex hormone that is responsible to develop the female’s sexual characteristics, regulates the progesterone and also protects pregnancy. Perhaps, the exact cause is unknown, there happens to be a few theories depicting the reason behind the low levels of the hormone in women, as discussed in the section below.
The reason behind the low progesterone levels
Irrespective of low evidence indicating the cause of the low progesterone levels in women, here are a few reasons based on the observations of some researchers:
- Excessive exercise pattern – If you have recently experienced prolonged periods of exercise, it could be a reason for the reduction in the levels of progesterone
- Stress – Stress is a common factor that results in a hormonal imbalance as the cortisol hormone ( a stress hormone) increases, lowering the progesterone levels. This is generally the common cause of a miscarriage too
- Xenoestrogens – An exposure to xenoestrogens, usually found in plastics, herbicides, pesticides, and hydrogenated oils could result in a low rate of progesterone levels in the body
- Weight gain – Weight gain is one factor that leads to an increase in estrogen levels, bringing the progesterone hormone down, also hampering the ability to conceive
- Age – If you arearound 50 years or over, there is a chance of a decrease in the hormone, also caused by menopause
How does low progesterone production cause pregnancy loss? And, what are the symptoms?
As mentioned in the earlier section, the primary function of the progesterone hormone in women is to thicken the uterus walls, therefore, a decrease lowers the chances of implantation. This is how the low levels of the hormone affect the chances of getting pregnant.
Here are symptoms that can help you observe if you are facing low progesterone levels:
- Mood swings
- Lack of sleep
- Breast tenderness
Now that we have understood the need to produce progesterone hormone, let’s dive into the golden question!
What are the natural ways to help increase the levels of the progesterone hormone to get pregnant?
There are different ways to increase the hormone, that is by oral medications or treatments, or opting for natural remedies. However, we will focus on the natural ways to increase the progesterone hormone in women, as mentioned in the pointers below:
- Prevent excessive exercise routines – This is because when you are a part of excessive strenuous workouts that too for prolonged periods, the body tends to secrete more cortisol as compared to progesterone. Therefore, it is recommended to stick to a moderate exercise routine that lasts for about 30 to 60 minutes a day.
- Focus on healthy weight gain – If the bodyweight happens to increase, it could result in an imbalance of the hormones, which means, an increase in the levels of estrogen and a decrease in the levels of progesterone. Therefore, make sure to keep a close check on your body weight, if trying to get pregnant.
- Try to reduce stress levels – This is because psychological stress makes the body release more cortisol (stress hormone) in order to manage stress, resulting in the reduction of progesterone. So, it is advised to try and manage the stress in a positive way in order to maintain the right balance in the hormones of the body.
What are the foods one can consume to maintain a healthy level of progesterone?
Although certain foods do not contain progesterone, certain foods do help regulate the levels of the hormone. These include:
- Zinc – This is essential in the reproduction cycle as it prompts the ovaries to release progesterone, like chickpeas, pumpkin, red meat, and almonds
- Omega 3 – They help balance the hormone levels and further enhance the progesterone levels, like eggs, walnuts, flaxseed, milk, tuna, mackerel, and salmon
- Vitamins – Food that is rich in vitamin B6, C, and E help increase the levels of progesterone, like chicken, egg, soybeans, oatmeal, brown rice, broccoli, potato, wheat germ, and soy oils
- Cholesterol – These include nuts like hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, fatty fish like sardines, salmon, mackerel, olive oil, oats, and beans
- Fiber – Fiber is good for the reproductive cycle, like amaranth, flax seeds, and quinoa
If you are trying to get pregnant, we recommend making use of the natural ways mentioned in the article above. These are completely safe and effective as compared to the other medical supplements. Make sure to maintain a healthy diet, reduce stress, and follow moderate exercise routines in order to boost progesterone production.
FAQs: How to increase the progesterone hormone naturally?
1) Why is the progesterone hormone necessary?
The hormone is important for the menstrual cycle and to maintain fertilization. It is responsible to help regulate the monthly cycle and also thickening the uterus lining to prepare to implant the fertilized egg.
2) What are the ways to hike progesterone naturally?
- Try any maintain a healthy body weight
- Refrain from overexercising and follow a moderate exercise routine
- Avoid any stress as it triggers the production of stress hormones resulting in the transformation of the progesterone hormones to cortisol
Read the article above for more insight!
3) How can I increase my chances of getting pregnant naturally?
- Consume foods that are rich in antioxidants like folate and zinc that improve fertility for both men and women
- Have a larger amount of breakfast
- Avoid any trans fats
- Prevent carbs in case you have PCOS
- Have foods rich in fiber
- Protein sources
- Intake more high-fat dairy