Does teeth discoloration stop you from achieving your best smile? Beautiful smiles are admirable, and it’s everyone’s dream to have an attractive and appealing smile. But sometimes, you may not get that smile, despite observing dental hygiene, due to factors such as tooth yellowing. Tooth discoloration is a life process that occurs as you age. Other than age, yellow teeth may occur due to daily aspects such as smoking. Dental Studios specializes in providing comprehensive dental solutions, including teeth whitening in Westfield, New Jersey. The general and cosmetic dental specialists at Dental Studios offer professional teeth whitening services to enhance a shiny white smile. Call or book online for a consultation.
Teeth whitening is a treatment to lighten stained or discolored teeth to their original color. The procedure involves using a bleaching agent to whiten your teeth. Teeth whitening is safe and reliable, providing practical results. In rare cases, you may experience tooth sensitivity due to the effect of bleaching agents.
Causes of teeth discoloration
It is usual for your teeth to change their original color as you age. Due to your enamel’s natural wear and tear, the inner surface of your teeth is exposed, which is usually yellow. Besides age, other causes of teeth discoloration include:
· Smoking or chewing tobacco
· Certain medications such as tetracycline
· Drinks such as coffee, tea, red wine
· Foods such as tomato sauce, berries, beets
· Poor dental hygiene
· Infection and disease
· Genetics, you may naturally have a brighter or thicker enamel
· Environment, some areas have water with high fluoride levels
· Dental materials used in restoration dentistry
Types of teeth discoloration
Teeth stains occur as extrinsic or intrinsic.
· Extrinsic are stains that occur after contact with your teeth.
· Intrinsic stains are due to something inside your body or teeth.
Tooth discoloration by color helps determine the cause of your problem.
· Yellow, this occurs due to age causing your enamel to wear down. This exposes the underlying tooth part, which is usually yellow.
· Brown teeth are primarily due to tobacco use, tea and coffee intake, and tooth decay.
· White spots on the teeth appear due to excessive fluoride exposure.
· Black stains usually occur due to tooth decay or exposure to minerals such as iron, silver, and manganese.
In-office teeth whitening
Dental Studios uses the laser technique to whiten your teeth to eight shades better. The procedure involves the use of fitted trays and hydrogen peroxide whitening gel.
Your provider covers your lips and gums and then fills the trays with the bleaching solution fitting them on your teeth. He then exposes them to laser light. The process occurs for 15 minutes, three times.
At-home teeth whitening treatments
- Tooth whitening toothpaste
- Tooth whitening strips and gels
- Healthy fruits and vegetables such as pineapples and strawberries
Teeth discoloration prevention
You may prevent teeth stains by reducing or quitting the intake of stain-causing drinks and foods, including coffee, tea, and wine. Other remedies include professional teeth cleaning every six months, quitting smoking, improved dental hygiene, among others.
The bottom line
Teeth whitening is an ideal treatment for stained or discolored teeth. The treatment is safe and successfully gets rid of teeth stains, enhancing a bright white smile. By avoiding teeth discoloration agents, you may lower your risk of teeth yellowing. Consult the teeth-whitening specialists today; call to schedule your consultation.