of improving their health and wellbeing. People engage in alternative means of managing stress and anxiety, change their diet, as well as consume herbs and herbal products with different health benefits. One of such herbs is kratom.
Table of Contents
What Is Kratom?
Kratom, which is also scientifically known as Mitragyna speciosa, is a tropical tree indigenous to Southeast Asia. The tree thrives in hot and humid tropical countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, and Papua New Guinea Toss N Wash Kratom.
Most of the kratom harvested, produced, and imported to the west comes from the Indonesian portion of Borneo Island. It’s a large island that sits right on the equator, providing perfect conditions for kratom trees to develop.
Kratom has a variety of beneficial effects that result from the alkaloids and other beneficial compounds in its leaves. Scientists have identified a minimum of 25 alkaloids and 40 total compounds that can improve health and wellbeing.
Despite it being known and used in Southeast Asia for centuries, kratom is a relatively new discovery in the western world. However, interest and research on it are growing. Scientists believe that kratom has happened a lot more often, and a team at the University of Florida College of Pharmacy is studying the plant and its alkaloids.
While there are many alkaloids and other compounds in kratom, two are in larger quantities than others, contributing to most of krater’s effects. These are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine.
Most kratom comes in raw powder form. However, you can also get kratom capsules, extracts, as well as resin.
The Different Types of Kratom
All kratom is highly beneficial, yet it’s far from being the same. Kratom comes in three natural vein types. In addition to that, there are many different varieties of kratom based on the origin of the tree and other factors.
For instance, there is Malaysian Kratom, Thai Kratom, Borneo Kratom, Bali Kratom, and more. There is also Horn Kratom, which is a type of kratom with a unique leaf shape.
Depending on the weather conditions, nutrients in the soil, as well as the location on the tree, kratom leaves develop different alkaloid profiles. These, as a result, provide different effects. The different kratom vein types are:
- Red Vein Kratom: the powder comes from kratom leaves with red veins and stems, which are usually at the top of the tree where they gain the most exposure to the sun. This kratom has potent pain-relieving and relaxing effects.
- White Vein Kratom: a polar opposite to Red Vein Kratom, this form of powder comes from leaves at the bottom of the tree where they are shaded by lush foliage and get less sunlight. As a result, the leaves develop energizing and mood-boosting properties similar to those of coffee. Fun fact: kratom actually belongs to the Madder family, the same plant family as coffee!
- Green Vein Kratom: a perfect balance between the two types above, this kind of kratom comes from green-veined leaves from the middle part of the tree. The effects you can escape are moderate and balanced – soothing as well as energizing.
- Yellow Kratom: while no such natural type of kratom leaves exists, farmers mix various kinds of kratom to achieve unique effects. Yellow kratom delivers effects similar to but not quite the same as those of Green Vein Kratom.
The Effects of Kratom
Kratom has a wide range of effects that will vary along with the type you choose. Let’s have a look at some of the most prominent ones:
1. Potent Pain Relief
This is one of the main reasons why millions in the US buy and take kratom. Its alkaloids, 7-hydroxymitragynine, has powerful pain-relieving qualities. In fact, it is more powerful than morphine and doesn’t have respiratory depression or abuse potential than morphine and opioids have. Red Vein Kratom has the stringers pain-relieving properties while White Vein Kratom provides mild and Green Vein Kratom moderate pain relief.
2. Increased Energy
White Vein Kratom is rich in alkaloids that increase the energy in a very similar way like coffee. Green Vein Kratom also provides more energy, but it is milder and more suitable for beginners.
3. Improved Mood
Green Vein Kratom, in particular, is an excellent mood booster. It helps one focus on more positive thoughts, stills the mental chatter, and even helps those with social anxiety.
Red Vein Kratom is especially effective in helping one relax in addition to easing pain.
5. Anxiety and Stress Relief
Since kratom can still mental chatter and provide relaxation, it is effective in easing stress and anxiety. Red Vein Kratom is the strongest, but it’s best in the evening. For those who need kratom during the day, Green Vein Kratom is more suitable.
6. Greater Focus and Productivity
Similarly to coffee, kratom increases one’s energy. But, in addition to that, it also helps to gain clear and calm focus and maintain high levels of productivity. Green Vein Kratom is best vein type for that.
7. Improved Sleep
Red kratom strains are the most long-lasting and soothing. So, one can have an easier time falling and staying asleep. In addition to that, Green and White Vein Kratom can help those who feel sluggish during the first half of the day to feel more energized and ready to go to sleep by nighttime.
Kratom has numerous beneficial properties that can improve the health and wellbeing of many. The key is finding strains and vein types that suit your needs the most.